A course articulation is when a student seeks to receive credit for a course at another institution. 


1. You must contact your Major Undergraduate Advisor(s) to discuss your plan to complete a chemistry course away from UCSB. 
  • Please review the UCSB General Catalog for Chemistry course descriptions and compare it to the courses you wish to take at other institutions.
  • If you found a chemistry course equivalency on  please skip to step #7.  
  • If you were unable to determine a chemistry course equivalency on, please continue to step #3.
2. Obtain a detailed syllabus of the course by contacting the advising staff at the respective institution.
3. Once you have completed step #2, fill out the appropriate Google Form as provided below:
4. Once you have submitted your form, please allow 2-3 weeks for faculty review. Please note that our Department ONLY reviews course to course articulations.
5. You will receive an email response, once the course has been reviewed, regarding equivalency. If a course articulation is approved, confirm with your Major Undergraduate Advisor(s) that this will work for your major. Please note the following:
  • If you take a course at a community college or a non-UC, only the course credit will transfer. Grades will only transfer if the course is taken at a UC.
  •  If you take a course at a community college, another UC, or a non-UC please be sure to verify unit transferability with the College of Letters and Science. 
  • You can find more information regarding the College of Letters and Science policies on transferring credit on their advising website ( 
6. After completing the course and receiving a grade, please submit your unofficial transcript, and what course you will receive credit for, to the respective Google Form
7. You will receive an email response notifying you and your Major Undergraduate Advisor(s) about clearing you internally for enrollment purposes.
8. You must also send your official transcript to the UCSB Office of Admissions for the units to transfer and the course to appear on your UCSB transcript. Click here for more details.


Students who have completed course work at a public California community college should refer to for major articulation agreements between UCSB and individual colleges.  Major-specific articulation information on ASSIST can be used to determine acceptable course substitutions.
Please click here to view an example of how to determine course equivalencies. 


Majors in the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry must check with a chemistry academic advisor before taking chemistry courses at another institution. If you do not, you may not receive credit.